here, you will know how the water softener system works in 5 simple steps. All the water softener works to remove the hard ions in the water. Despite that, you will have better quality and taste of water.
So if you are tired of stains on clothes and appliances, install a water softener and know how it works. The water softening device in your home will produce water free of hard minerals. And that’s not all; you will not have the scale build-up with softened water.
Other than that, you need to know how the water softener system works so you can maintain it. Plus, with softened water, you can protect your home appliances such as faucets, pipes, sinks, kettles, and much more.
5 Steps On How Water Softener System Works – Simple Guide
1. Install The Water Softener
Firstly, you have to install a water softening device in your home. Before buying a water softener, you have to consider the size of your house and water usage. Also, you need to know the hardness present in your water and then buy a water softening device.
Moreover, you will have some of the latest devices of water softeners at a high price because they are more efficient. Besides, the cost of a water softener will vary from one company to another. You need to choose a salt-free or salt-based water softener.
In addition, you will find several types of water softeners, but if you want to remove the hardness from whole house water, then buy the house-filtration water softener. Installing some of the water softeners is complex, but you can hire a plumber for it.
2. Microscopic Beads That Will Remove Hard Minerals
Once you have installed the water softener, it will remove the hard minerals through the resin beads. The small microscopic resin beads inside the cylinder are responsible for removing the hardness in water.
The manganese and calcium ions have a positive charge that makes them attracted to each other. Thus, the process of attraction will remove the harmful ions, and you will have soft water. However, some of the water softeners do not remove the toxic ions from water but reduce their effectiveness.
3. Regeneration Of Water Softener
The sodium ions present in the hard water aren’t enough to remove the hardness from the water. So you have to add the salt in the brine tank to effectively remove hardness from water. When the sodium and magnesium ions are removed, you will have the softened water.
The process of regeneration works like a cleaning process in hard water. Some of the water softeners have a meter that will show the cleaning process and salt usage on it. In fact, you will know that when water softening devices require more salt.
4. Regeneration Process With Dual Cylinder
The job of a water softener is to remove the hardness from hard water and clean itself. The water softeners that have one cylinder require more time to regenerate, but the dual water softening tanks have the quick process of regeneration and removing hardness.
The dual cylinder water softeners will never stop the water softening process to regenerate itself. In double cylinder cushioning devices, one cylinder will clean itself, and others will remove hardness from water. The best water softeners have two cylinders, and you will have soft water 24/7.
5. Results of Soft Water
You will have softer hair and skin with soft water. Above all, the softened water has a better taste. Besides that, you have to maintain the water softener because it is not a one-time investment. The water softeners require salt after one week to work properly.
Concerns of Water Softener
- The water softeners should be installed by a pro or a plumber that has good experience in fitting them. If its’ not fixed perfectly, you might have to pay more in the future.
- Moreover, the price of water softeners will vary according to their size and material. So you will have a house water filtering system in a price range of $2000 to $2500.
- Before choosing the water softener, you need to know that it requires a lot of salt. So if someone in your home is on a diet that might affect them. For example, 8 ounces of water will require salt in one cup.
- Other than that, if you don’t want salt in the water, then you need to buy the potassium pellets. However, potassium pellets are more expensive than sodium pellets. You will be paying $30 for one pellet of potassium pellet but only 8$ for sodium pellet.
- Additionally, if you don’t want to intake salt, then install a separate RO water filter in the kitchen, this filter will extract the sodium ions, and you can drink it.
- The drawback of water softeners is that they are increasing the amount of sodium discharge in the reservoirs as well as grounds. So there are laws in some states the doesn’t allow using a water softer device. Check the rules of the area or building before installing it.
- The new water softening devices are easy to maintain. You don’t need to add sodium or potassium ions to the brine tank. Besides, you have to invest annually $100-$200 for the maintenance of a water softener.
To Sum Up
Typically, a water softener must remove the hard minerals in the water. The hardest minerals are calcium and magnesium that disturb the functioning of soaps at home. Besides that, the sodium ions aren’t much effective to make the water hard.
Moreover, the water softeners will work to remove the dirt from clothes with less detergent. In fact, you will have the smoothest skin. Besides, it will make your hair softer. However, the water softener in your house should work properly, and you need to know how the water softener system works. Best of all, you will not have any water stains on your clothes with softened water.
Thank You For Reading!
Born in the Philippines, Joseph Solis Moved to Canada at age 6. He attended Simon Fraser University and received his Masters’s in Chemistry. His research domains include water filtration, water softening, and overall water treatment.